The holidays are a busy time of year, and getting your home ready for guests is a big challenge. Our easy guide ensures you have everything ready when the guests arrive, so you can enjoy the holidays stress-free. If you’re not sure where to start, these tips will help you prepare your home for holiday guests and fully appreciate the time with family and friends.
Cleaning Your Home
Everyone is comfortable in a clean, clutter-free space. For a clean home during this busy time of year, follow these easy steps.
- Get organized: Make sure you have all the cleaning supplies you need, then make a quick run through the house to put everything in its place. Deep cleaning is easier when you start with an uncluttered space. Just 30 minutes should give you a good place to start.
- Clean one room at a time: Start at one end of the house and clean one room at a time. The sense of accomplishment after finishing one room will keep you going. Clean each room top to bottom for better efficiency.
- Maintain: Once your home is clean, take 30 minutes each day to maintain it. Quickly clean up anything out-of-place, then assign one job per day to keep your home sparkling all season long. For example, scour bathrooms on Monday, deep clean the kitchen on Tuesday, dust and vacuum on Wednesday, etc. You won’t scramble to hide the mess when friends and neighbors come to the door!
- Keep it simple: Use simple, natural elements to create an elegant scene in your home. Instead of pulling out every possible decoration, choose your favorites and coordinate them for a beautifully decorated home. If you’re lucky enough to live in Austin, TX, take advantage of the great weather and hang up a few strands of outdoor lights or bring berries and branches in from outside.
- Think ahead: If you or your guests have children, use kid-friendly decor. You won’t worry about someone knocking over your fragile decorations if you plan your decorating scheme to fit your guests and family.
Create the Perfect Guest Experience
- Stock up: If your guests stay overnight, now is the time to stock up on toothbrushes and other travel-size toiletries. Avoid last-minute trips to the store by filling a pretty basket with toothbrushes, toothpaste, deodorant, decorative guest soaps, and little bottles of shampoo and conditioner. These items are inexpensive and are a life-saver for guests who forget an important item.
- Linens: Make sure you have plenty of guest towels so you don’t have to do laundry while you’d rather enjoy the company of friends and family. Check towels for frayed edges and other signs of wear. Guest linens don’t get used a lot, so don’t hesitate to buy new ones if you need them. They’ll last a long time and make a big difference to your guests.
- Space: If many guests are staying overnight, make sure you have enough space. Turn an office into a temporary guest room or place folding screens in shared rooms for more comfortable sleeping arrangements. Buy or borrow air mattresses if you don’t have enough beds for everyone. In the living and dining areas, make sure you have plenty of extra seating. Stools, folding chairs, and other lightweight options are easy to move from room to room.
- Do something fun: There’s always something fun happening in Austin, TX. Take your guests to a fun, local event to enjoy great weather and exciting festivities.
Buying and Preparing Food
- Start early: If you prepare a huge meal yourself, start now. Make cookies and freeze the dough. Everyone will think you spent all day in the kitchen when you pull fresh, hot treats out of the oven. Use make-ahead recipes to get a head-start on meal prep for minimal work after the guests arrive. If guests stay for multiple days, make some easy, delicious, homemade soups and pack them in the freezer. Just thaw and heat for simple, hot lunches.
- Ask for help: If guests are staying for more than one meal, don’t be afraid to have a potluck! Ask guests to bring their favorite finger food or a side dish. Most guests are happy to help.
- Choose other options: If cooking isn’t your thing, consider a catered meal. Leave the food to the experts and concentrate on the things that matter most to you. Austin is known for its incredible food scene, so don’t be ashamed if you’d rather let someone else take care of the cooking.
Prepare your gorgeous Austin home for holiday guests and avoid the stress of the season. Keep it simple and plan ahead. Your guests will have a wonderful time, and you’ll have plenty of time to enjoy with visitors, friends, and family. If you are visiting or have visitors that fall in love with the city, contact us today so we can help them find their perfect piece of Austin! We are the top source for Austin homes, and we’re happy to help you discover all the fun and excitement Austin offers this time of year!